I vow to help you love life, to always hold you with tenderness and to have the patience that love demands, to speak when words are needed and to share the silence when they are not and to live within the warmth of your heart and always call it home.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Reciprocal Inspiration

     Inspiration. That's what my mother has been to me since I can remember. My mother is one ah-mazing woman. She was a best friend to me in junior high, biggest fan in the stands during soccer, volleyball, and basketball, my relationship counselor in high school, and my biggest driver to continue onto college. She once told me about her dream to become a nurse once upon a time. Sadly she had to give that up for her family, and just hearing the regret in her voice inspired me. I vowed to never have that regret in my voice if I could help it. With my parent's willingness to co-sign on loans, my college dreams materialized.

     With my college chapter coming to an end, I'm very proud to say I won't be the last Shellito hitting the college campus. Along with my brilliant brother who was accepted to UCO this week, my heavily-encouraged mother has plans to start at NOC Enid this summer/fall! She credits my relentless badgering for 4.5 years and just me. She said that I inspired her to go to college, to want more, and to push herself.

     So as I look back at my role model as a child, I smile with a warm heart because I was able to pay her back the best that I knew how. The role model became the role modelee. She is truly the most unselfish woman I know, and she deserves every good venture that comes her way. I know once she sets her mind to something, she will accomplish her goal. I'm now looking forward to the day where I get to sit in the stands and scream for her name when she collects her degree.

1 comment: