I vow to help you love life, to always hold you with tenderness and to have the patience that love demands, to speak when words are needed and to share the silence when they are not and to live within the warmth of your heart and always call it home.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

3 Days of Heaven


My husband was granted a pass to come home over Christmas this year. At this point he's been gone for about two months. We've gone longer apart but this two months apart was different. Many emotions and changes happened during this time which made it feel just centuries longer. He arrived home late Saturday night and I whisked him away to see our new home for the first time!


On Day 1, I played tour guide and showed him around town. First we had to hit Waffle House for breakfast, and this is a big deal for us since it's the first time living in a town with one. We drove out to Pier Park (Outdoor mall in my previous post) in PCB and went Christmas shopping for each other. It was so much fun spotting him all over the mall, making eye contact from yards away and just smiling like goofy teens. Then lunch on the beach and a fancy dress-up dinner date night to top it off.


Day 2, Christmas Eve! We trekked out to the beach with Zeus during a rainstorm, got soaked to the bone, but couldn't stop smiling/laughing the entire time. We spent most of the day snuggled down at home due to the rain and watched Christmas movies/The Office all day. Also the first fire in our home was built!





Day 3, Christmas Day. We slept in, made a feast for breakfast (eggs, REAL bacon and bubble bread) and opened gifts from each other and all that our family has been sending the past weeks. Who doesn't love opening presents?! Then came time for Christmas lunch/dinner. Kit wanted to start cooking at noon so we could just eat on it all day. Fine with me! We made brown-sugared ham, green bean casserole, crescent rolls, sweet potato casserole, cheesy hash brown bake (MIL's secret recipe) and pecan pie. And like every Christmas Day we had to finish the night off with a trip to the theater! DJango was so good! We really missed family this year. It was our first Christmas since we've been married that we weren't in OK, but we couldn't help to be so grateful that at least we all had each other on this special holiday.



When I say, "Three days isn't enough time" my wise husband always replies, "It'll never be enough time. If the Army would've of given us a month, it still wouldn't' have been enough." How wise he is. I have learned it's never enough time. Time with our loved ones is so immensely precious. I have learned to treasure it the most over the last couple of years above all else.

My goal was to give my husband a wonderful new memory of what home here will be like when he returns. A memory so luscious, so wonderful that during dark times all he would need to do was hold it up to his ear like a sea shell, close his eyes and just listen and remember. I think I did that. I've never seen him smile so much in such a short period of time. I hope I gave him a glimpse of what we WILL have WHEN he returns to me. Life will be wonderful, and our family will thrive. I hope you all had a wonderful holiday and treasured loved ones and the time spent!

No comments:

Post a Comment