I vow to help you love life, to always hold you with tenderness and to have the patience that love demands, to speak when words are needed and to share the silence when they are not and to live within the warmth of your heart and always call it home.

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Quarter Seems Like Eternity

It's been about 3 months since my husband left me for his year long adventure away from home. This first quarter has been hard. I feel myself turning into this person that I don't want to be. I cry at the littlest of things (song in the grocery store, commercial on TV, article in the news). I get anxiety now every time I go to the airport, whether I'm getting on the plane myself or picking someone up, it doesn't matter. I've had so many sad moments there that if effects me even when I'm not dropping him off. I toss and turn at all hours of the night. I also find myself turning to food a lot, which is a bad habit to start, so that's been a challenge as well.

I also find myself becoming bitter, and that's the last thing I want. I see on FB people bragging about dates with their husbands, holidays, and cute banter back and forth and it really makes me want to cancel my fb for the rest of this deployment. I get sad, jealous and then bitter because I know we're missing out on that. So forgive me if I slowly detach myself away from social media.

Compared to my families and friend's past deployments I expected to communicate often with my husband. Well that's not quite the case. We can't Skype  and I'll be lucky to get a phone call 2-3 times a month. I'm angry at the fact that we always seem to have to do everything the most hardest way possible. When my buddy deployment he and his gf skyped every night. When my BIL deployed they were always in constant communication.  I want that. Eh, guess it's time to learn you don't always get what you want. I knew this wasn't going to be easy...but I never thought it'd be this rough. In all the preparation materials the military gives you, it states that it's essential for the left-behind member to have a great support team. Sadly we moved away from that right before he deployed. I feel like we did everything you weren't suppose to to prepare for this. When my husband was gone all the time while we lived in TX, it was ok. I had a GREAT support system with my friends there. I also had family and friends visit often. Here, I have no friends or family and I recommend no one do what we did if you can help it. I believe if I had that physical support system that this first 3 months wouldn't have been so damn rough. Ok, enough bitching.

The good thing here is that I'm recognizing all of this and doing things about it. I will finally be home for good next week (the AF sent me away for a month), so hopefully a good solid routine will establish itself at work. I have a half marathon to train/eat well for and that is always time consuming. I also have finally made a friend here. Her husband gets in this week but I'm hoping we can still hang out and have dates. Also, I think I will start up my first garden. I'm all about saving money and eating healthy, AND with all this time on my hands it seems like a great project to start. I am a positive person. I will try to keep looking to the bright side of all things. I will keep my chin up. Luckily, I still have that light at the end of this dark tunnel.

4 comments:

  1. It can't be easy to stay positive under those circumstances! But you are doing so well so far! I hate that you guys can't communicate and I know I can't really relate in that aspect. I do remember feeling the way you did about fb and even bein around other couples in general while josh was gone. And honestly Skype wasnt always a good thing for me. Most of the time it made me miss him more and want more of him. It's like kit said about having leave time... No matter what they give you, you'll always want more of your spouse during a deployment. I hate that we can't be physically there for you right now. But we are always a phone call, text or FaceTime away. We love you and would do whatever we could to help you get through this! Hang in there girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a badass Lady. Seriously you are so tough, I know most people would crumble in the face of something like this. I remember how heart breaking it was for me if I couldn't see Shawn for 5 weeks, and he was only a few hours away. I admire you for being so strong and open. In the grand scheme of things this will be one more story to tell your children about their mom and dad's true love story. How will they know when they have met their soulmate? Easy they have the best example any kids could ask for.

    ReplyDelete