I vow to help you love life, to always hold you with tenderness and to have the patience that love demands, to speak when words are needed and to share the silence when they are not and to live within the warmth of your heart and always call it home.

Monday, May 13, 2013

Military Spouse Appreciation

When it comes to the military in general, I consider myself lucky enough to wear two hats. One, as a military member. Two, as a military spouse or army wife. I have the benefit of seeing both sides and likewise the heartache that comes along with each hat.

I'm so thankful for the opportunity I've been given to serve. I take my job very seriously and have developed a fierce pride in what I do. I'm serving my country and wouldn't have it any other way. I haven't deployed yet, but it's in the very near future. Luckily my leadership has taken in consideration my situation, being that my husband is deployed, and is thankfully holding off my deployment until after he returns. I couldn't imagine both of us being gone and dealing with two crappy phone connections, two non-existent skype connections and no place to call home (because if we're both out of the US for 6 months - 1 year then our stuff is going into storage)! Knowing many friends and family that have deployed...I know it won't be the least bit easy leaving everything I love behind. But I'll save that side of my story for when the time comes.

As for the second hat, I'm very proud to be an army wife. My husband serves our country by putting himself on the ground in harms way to get the job done. He's an outstanding leader and inspires me everyday. I'm lucky to have such a fantastic role model and brave husband. We just started our first deployment together six months ago. It's by far, the toughest experience we've been through thus far and that says a lot. We've been through deaths, financial woes, countless finals weeks, and the aches and pains of developing a marriage, but by far the last 6 months have been the most challenging. So when I received this in the mail last Friday afternoon, I cried.






It's so nice to be appreciated for your support! I didn't even know it was Military Spouse Appreciation Day until I looked that afternoon on facebook. Got to love a man that plans ahead.

As for my husband, this is his first official MSAD. He started his time in service as a spouse last April 15. I know it was a totally different role for him than what he was used to, but I couldn't have picked a better life partner for it. He comforted me when I came home in tears, he understood when I would be at work for 16 hours at a time, he cleaned, cooked and took care of Zeus without me asking and still managed his work life with the Army. There's no way I could have got through my tech school without him. No way. I knew from the minute I commissioned and pinned on those butter bars that I would owe my career with the Air Force, no matter how long, entirely to him. He's been so supportive but also so incredibly inspiring! He's taught me more about military leadership then I've ever got from books or mentors.

I realize now that I needed a military member as a spouse. I needed his strength, knowledge, and complete understanding that could only be gained from his experiences with the military. We're not perfect in any way, shape or form...but together we're perfect for each other. He's so strong where I find my weaknesses. I stand firm when he starts to falter. I appreciate this man more than I could ever put into words.

Thank you Kiser, for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment