I vow to help you love life, to always hold you with tenderness and to have the patience that love demands, to speak when words are needed and to share the silence when they are not and to live within the warmth of your heart and always call it home.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Benchmark #5: Hello Brie!

This last weekend my best friend Brie flew from the West coast to come see me for almost a full week. First let me tell you how we came to be friends.

It all started back in August 2008. I had just moved to Stillwater OK to finish out my bachelor's degree at OSU and started seeing this cute blind date of mine. I knocked on my husband's (almost boyfriend at the time) apartment door for the first time to hang out for the night. He proceeds to introduce me to his beautiful female roomate Brie and all her gorgeous girlfriends that were getting dressed up for the bars that night. I felt so out of my league and slightly intimidated. Why does he need me when he seems to have no problem finding/living with gorgeous women? Luckily for all parties involved, we got along. Suprisingly well. He explained that they'd been really good friends since grade school and through college too. I could easily relate because I too have a really good guy friend that I've been close with since highschool, through college and even joined the military with. Like them we never dated, but always remained great friends.

Four months later we all took a spontaneous cruise to Mexico, and that's when I started to realize she wasn't only my husband's best friend, but my friend too. We got closer and closer as time went by, started hanging out without Kit and became best friends. She was even in our wedding, but on Kit's side! I'd be lying if I said we didn't fight over who's side she'd stand on.

When I married my husband, I had no idea how much the people in his life would soon matter so much to mine as well. I have many geniune people that are so close to my heart now that I wouldn't have ever had the chance to meet without Kit. Not only did I get a kick ass husband, I also got a couple best friends out of the deal too. Very lucky.

Brie graduated college in May 2009 and started moving all over the country. Somehow over the years we'd still find a way to see each other and get hang out time in. I was beyond thrilled when she mentioned wanting to fly to PC to come visit me and give me another benchmark while Kit is gone. We made it happen!

We layed on the beach, shopped, got free German beer, watched Superman on the big screen, had movie nights, discovered Seaside, rekindled my addiction to Starbucks, ran from jellyfish, got our sweat on at the gym and even found an awesome country bar. Her vacation here was relaxing and exactly what I needed. Also, it was SO nice to talk to someone about Kit. To share memories about him, to point out what he'd like about FL and what he wouldn't like. This was so wonderful because all my friends here have never met my husband. Even though he's thousands of miles away, it felt like a piece of him was here too when Brie visited.















Over the years she started out as my husband's best friend and has evolved to one of my best friends too. Our friendship is effortless, easy and wonderful. She's a breath of fresh air with her adventures in juicing, hiking, traveling and going green ways. Her visiting me during a tough time like this was amazing, and I'm so grateful. Love you girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment