I vow to help you love life, to always hold you with tenderness and to have the patience that love demands, to speak when words are needed and to share the silence when they are not and to live within the warmth of your heart and always call it home.

Monday, May 26, 2014

Murph

Today my husband and I did the MDM or Memorial Day Murph.  This hero WOD (workout of the day) is named after Navy Lt Michael Murphy.



In memory of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, N.Y., who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005.
This workout was one of Mike’s favorites and he’d named it “Body Armor”. From here on it will be referred to as “Murph” in honor of the focused warrior and great American who wanted nothing more in life than to serve this great country and the beautiful people who make it what it is.
Partition the pull-ups, push-ups, and squats as needed. Start and finish with a mile run. If you’ve got a twenty pound vest or body armor, wear it.


Murph:

1 Mile Run
100 pull ups
200 push ups
300 squats
1 Mile Run

This was my first time doing it since I'm pretty new to crossfit, but my husband did it last year in Afghanistan with his buddies.  It's the longest WOD I've ever done and felt every step, but we did it and even did it together!  I kept pace with him on the first mile run, then we finished within a minute of each other for the calisthenics.  He out-paced me for the last mile, but we still finished within a couple minutes of each other.  You bet he cheered me on too after he was finished.  That's really what I love about crossfit.  You cheer each other on.  You encourage one another to be better, stronger, faster.  Crossfit has definitely strengthened our marriage in ways I never knew existed.  When I crossed the finish line he had a look of astonishment and pride that I finished so closely behind him, and told me how proud he is of me.  Golden.

Kit with vest 45:20, Andie 46:46 (rubber band for pull-ups, RXd the rest)




There's room for improvement for next year, such as I want to ditch the band for the pull-ups!  Nonetheless I'm really proud on how far I've come in just a couple months.  I even did my first real unassisted pull-up today.  GGGGrrrrrrr!

The best part about this was who I did it with.  We're unstoppable.

No comments:

Post a Comment