I vow to help you love life, to always hold you with tenderness and to have the patience that love demands, to speak when words are needed and to share the silence when they are not and to live within the warmth of your heart and always call it home.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Drank the Crossfit Koolaid

I finally found a weights workout that I actually really, truly love. Crossfit. For that type-A personality or if you like to be seriously challenged or if you like group comradery...this sport is for you.

My husband started this while we were stationed in Texas. He quickly became addicted, while I sat back and called him crazy. I originally thought it was a man's sport with all the Olympic-style lifting and upper body workouts. He'd beg me to come to class with him, and I always happily declined.

Fast forward 1 year later, and I found myself craving something new. This summer I got really into weight lifting and liked the results I was seeing. I grew traps! I even had some nice definition going in the mid-section. The problem was I was quickly becoming bored with the constant same routine. After 3 months of the same MWF lifting schedule...I found my self wandering, searching for something new.

When my husband came home from Afghanistan I was smitten, and he could pretty much talk me into anything at that point. He struck quickly, and finally talked me into only doing the on-ramp course at a local crossfit gym. He said they were offering a special deal which made it half the cost, so I caved. The on-ramp course is a 4 week course, twice a week that you learn many of the basic moves so that you don't injure yourself. The instructors were very patient, and very detailed when it came to the instruction. You want that because you're essentially learning Olympic weight lifting movements that can seriously injure you if you have bad form. Ain't nobody got time for that!

After the 4 week intro course I was hooked. Everyday you're doing a new workout. You're lifting, toning and getting in your cardio, and the best part about it is it doesn't take 1.5 hrs! A friend of mine of similar body composition has a calorie-counter watch and during a standard 25 minute WOD (workout of the day), she burns around 550 calories. Crazy!

This week I took the plunge, drank the koolaid and did my first real week of crossfit. I was given a free two week pass for a "friend", so I get to work out with my husband for a couple of weeks too! It's awesome completing something together that is so challenging. Coming out on top and doing it as a couple. Since he's been home I can't do enough things by his side.

I've already lost 4 pounds, I can hardly walk or lift my arms above my head, and I've never drank so much protein (husband's insistence) in one week, but I'm loving every damn minute of it.

Step out of your comfort zone and take a sip.





1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see your pic of you out lifting that chick!

    ReplyDelete