I vow to help you love life, to always hold you with tenderness and to have the patience that love demands, to speak when words are needed and to share the silence when they are not and to live within the warmth of your heart and always call it home.

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Prepping for Baby!

McBaby prep, check!  I finally had everything ready to pack our hospital bags.  I'm 6 weeks out, so I rather be safe than scrambling and forget something I really wanted or needed!  I got advice from family, friends and Pinterest on what I'd need, so I thought I'd share on what we packed!  My husband got a bag, and then I had one.  We will also bring along the boppy, birthing ball and each a pillow because even the hospital staff said theirs are awful.




Dad's Bag:
Swim trunks (in case I need him in the shower/tub with me at the hospital)
Flip flops
Slippers
Toiletries
Phone chargers
Camera
iPad/charger
Placenta packaging supplies/ice chest
Snacks for both of us (Cliff Bars, nuts, crackers, etc)
2 days worth of clothes

Mom's Bag:
Robe
Slippers
Flip flops
Birthing gown (I wanted my own for comfort/feel good in.  Ordered mine from Prettypushers.com)
Birth plan and file folder for stray papers
Toiletries/Make-up/Straightener
Notebook/Pen
Rice pack 
Coconut oil (perineal massaging)
Lotion
Fake candles/bath oil (laboring in tub)
Birth affirmation cards

(Post-Birth)
Breastfeeding friendly jammies
Nursing bra
Granny panties
Going home outfit
Nipple cream/pads
Norah's going home outfit/mittens
Swaddler/blanket

Just some of the items I packed!

Norah's going home outfit!  We looked together for months and finally found something that felt comfy and cute to us.  We got all the pieces separately at different times, but they all go together nicely.  We had so much fun together finding her outfit!  Yes it's mostly blue, but oh well.  


I also found a really great blog on little kits or baskets to help with breastfeeding, diapering and postpartum care for Mom, so with some tweaks I made my own!  We live it a two story house, so I knew I wouldn't want to be constantly running upstairs to change her or because I forgot something I needed after I just sat down to breastfeed.  Also I won't have any help after my husband's summer break is over, so no one to fetch me something I forgot or help me out.  I knew these baskets were a good idea for us and our situation.  I made three kinds and two of each (one for upstairs, one for downstairs).  I bought all six baskets at Dollar Tree for $1 each, and they're not too small or too bulky.



Diaper changing baskets (blue):

Baby wipes
NB diapers
Diaper rash cream
Baby powder
Dish towel (to change her on)
Extra onesies (in case of a blow out)




Breastfeeding baskets (green):

Snacks for Mom
Book/kindle
Nipple shield (add later if needed)
Earth mama angel nipple butter
Burp cloths
Extra onesie
Bella B organic breast wipes
Breast pads
Chapstick
Hand lotion

Once I settle down to breastfeed I wanted everything in arms reach, so I'm really excited about having a station where I can find everything without having to interrupt Norah's meals!




Postpartum baskets (red):

Peri bottle (Get from the hospital)
Toilet wipes
Overnight mega pads
Extra grannie underwear
Tucks or Preparation H
Pain reliever
Stool softener
First aid spray for stitches




The baskets fit perfectly on the back of the toilet so that they're within arms reach.

I also made "padsicles" but they have to stay in the freezer, so they can't go in the baskets.  They're overnight pads with witch hazel (alcohol free) and aloe vera drizzled on them, wrapped in foil and then threw them in the freezer!  I hear they're wonderful if you've had a vaginal delivery, so I made a few to get me started.




As a new mom I knew you needed lots of new items for a baby, but no one ever talks about postpartum care and things Mom needs to heal afterwards!  Thankfully I found many blogs and pins about it, so luckily I had time to prepare before coming home after the hospital.  For the next baby shower I attend I'm definitely including care items for Mom too!

It feels SO good to have these bags packed besides items we use daily, baskets prepped and the car seat ready, but it's so surreal seeing these things now throughout the house.

Are we really having a baby!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment