I vow to help you love life, to always hold you with tenderness and to have the patience that love demands, to speak when words are needed and to share the silence when they are not and to live within the warmth of your heart and always call it home.

Friday, July 19, 2013

Favorite Eats

I've come across some pretty nifty food items lately and felt the need to share!


I found these gopicnic boxes at Target for about $2.50 each. Essentially it's a small lunch item ranging from 300-400 calories, depending what type you get. The items in it have no HFCS (high fructose corn syrup), organic and whole grains. These are great for keeping at your desk, car or on a picnic. I threw some in my carry-on while I was flying last weekend. No refrigeration necessary and yummy!

The SunRype fruit strips are a fun way to get a serving of fruit in and have a dessert item. Each strip has 3/4 serving of fruit and no added sugar or HFCS. Again, no need to keep these cool so you can store them anywhere.


When my best friend visited me last month she got me hooked on green tea lemonades from Starbucks. It's half green tea, half lemonade and 100% refreshing on a hot day. They have have enough sugar in them from the lemonade so I never get added sweetener. A Venti size is 70 calories, not bad, still beats having a can of coke. But, I wanted a cheaper option when I got the craving, so I did some searching for a lighter lemonade option to make my own at home. Target wins again! They carry now minute maid light, 15 calories per 8oz...so I mix a cup of home brewed green tea with a cup of light lemonade, pour over ice and whala! Thirst quenched for a mere 15 calories and way cheaper then the $3.50/drink at Starbucks.

Chia seeds are my new favorite. I first learned about them in an ultra marathon novel I was reading, "Born to Run". Chia seeds:

  1. Help weight loss. Chia seeds are popular for weight loss. They reduce food cravings by preventing some of the food that you eat from getting absorbed into your system. This blockage of calorie absorption makes them a great diet helper.
  2. Feel fuller faster: They can also help your diet by making you feel full. This is because they absorb 10 times their weight in water, forming a bulky gel.
  3. Hydration for athletes: They are also great for athletes because the "chia gel" can hydrate the body.
  4. Reduce your blood pressure: There's evidence to suggest they can reduce blood pressure.
  5. Omega-3: They are the richest plant source of Omega-3 (the vital fats that protect againstinflammation—such as arthritis—and heart disease). In fact, they contain more Omega-3 than salmon!
  6. Benefits for diabetes: Because chia seeds slow down how fast our bodies convert carbohydrates into simple sugars, studies indicate they can control blood sugar. This leads scientists to believe chia seeds may have great benefits for diabetics.
  7. They are easier to digest than flax seeds, and don't need to be ground up.


Don't be disgusted by their odd texture, it feels like the tapioca in tapioca pudding. When placed in water, the seeds swell with it, making them ideal to consume before heavy activity because once digested they release extra water into your system, resulting in you staying hydrated for much longer. I add them to my oatmeal in the morning, smoothies or even just my water bottle. They have no flavor, but again, a weird texture.
 
If you have any new health items you've discovered and want to share then please comment at the bottom! I'm always up for change.

2 comments:

  1. This is similar to my new blog! I feel so much more energized when I add coconut oil and chia seeds to my oatmeal every morning!

    I love that you are making your own starbucks drink at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Already being a green tea lover I tried the mix with Lemonade, and I love it!

    ReplyDelete