I vow to help you love life, to always hold you with tenderness and to have the patience that love demands, to speak when words are needed and to share the silence when they are not and to live within the warmth of your heart and always call it home.

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Panhandle Crossfit Competition

My husband started his crossfit journey 2.5 years ago and I've been doing crossfit for about 7 months.  We finally had the opportunity to participate in our first crossfit competitions together!  Luckily we were even on the same team which made it way more fun.

The way it worked is everyone was split into two different teams.  There were about 8 WODs and you didn't know what each was until 5 minutes before that particular event took place.  Only a certain number of people did each WOD so you had to strategize a bit.  Everyone had to participate in at least one event.  They categorized us also into different levels so that the playing field was a evened out a bit more.

I participated in the first event which was to find your 1RM (rep max) for back squat, 16 min time limit.  I've never tried to max out this before, being that I'm still pretty new to crossfit, but I volunteered for that event anyway.  Kit coached me through it and I ended up hitting 200 pounds!  My husband always says it takes mass to move mass and today I was grateful for my thick legs and butt!

Kit participated in a chipper (A workout with many reps and many movements (you chip away at it), typically completed in one single round for time.) with rowing, kettle bell swings, box jump overs, burpees and a sprint.  He did great!





Kit also participated in a partner WOD and had to do 3 long minutes of burpees faced off with the other team's "burpee" guy.  At first you think 3 minutes is a long time, so you should be able to get a load in, but those things are cardio killers!  I was pretty proud of him when he completed 56!  But even more proud when he beat the other guy!

After many more events the totals came out and...our team won!!!


The best part wasn't that our team won, it was the camaraderie we felt through it all.  This competition really gave us time to bond and get to know the people at our gym.  Our box is so great with really making you feel like a part of a family and we really appreciate it so much.  Also the encouragement that was shouted, screamed and clapped throughout it all was just amazing.  Usually  the person or team who finishes first gets the loudest applause, but not in crossfit.  It's always the person coming in last and that's what makes this sport so damn incredible.  We all lift each other up and encourage one another no matter what team you're on.  What more can you ask for?



Again, I can't express how amazing it feels to have this handsome man at my back in the gym and shouting encouragement in my ears through it all.  I even had him talked into our swolemate matching tanks!  He's such a good sport.

Today I felt strong.  Today I felt powerful.  Today I am satisfied and happy with every pound I have because being skinny today wouldn't have got me where I wanted to be.  Skinny can't squat 200 pounds, but I sure can.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment